HIGHLAND COUNTY SOCIETY FOR CHILDREN AND ADULTS
November 13, 1950
The Farm and Community Council hosted a meeting at the Highland County Court House to organize a local group to work with The Ohio Easter Seal Society to help crippled children. Representatives of various organizations including Rotary Clubs attended. 51 persons became charter members of the Highland County Society for Crippled Children. A constitution and by-laws were adopted.
First Officers and Organizations represented:
President: W.D. Crosley Health Council
Vice President: Rev. Ed Bousman Presbyterian Church
Secretary: Mrs. Ferry Roberts Advisory Council
Treasurer: James L. Byrd Rotary Club
Easter Seals: Mrs. Doris Smith Home and Community Council
Programs: Dorothy Winters County Health Nurse
Viola Grandy County Health Nurse
Membership: Mrs. George Lucas Home & Community Council
Publicity: Harold Powell Rotary Club
Freida Simpkins Civic Club
Fundraising included Lily Parade flower sales by Boy Scouts, bake sales, mail campaign, card party, food sales. Rotary shared expense with society on several equipment purchases for crippled children.
October 12, 1954
Name was changed to Highland County Society for Crippled Children and Adults as part of a new constitution suggested by the Ohio Easter Seal Society. Board members included Hillsboro Rotarians James Byrd, Dr. Clifford Foor, Darrell Hottle, Dr. Carl Sites and James Hapner.
November 25, 1957
Helen Lowell becomes the “File Clerk” to maintain records regarding persons assisted at $5.00 per month.
January 14, 1959
Helen Lowell hired as the first “Executive Secretary at a salary of $30.00 per month.
April 7-8, 1973
First Radio-Telethon held at Hillsboro Bank & Savings in conjunction with National Easter Seal Society Telethon.
February 21, 1978
Name changed to Highland County Easter Seal Society for Crippled Children and Adults to conform to national and state trends as Easter Seals was helping adults as well as children.
March 27, 1979
Betty Collins hired as new Executive Secretary.
August 20, 1981
Incorporated as an Ohio Non-Profit Corporation as Highland County Society for Crippled Children and Adults, Inc.
Severed ties with Easter Seal Society to become independent organization because 38% of donations were being sent to the Easter Seal Society and the board and rotary clubs felt that local funds should all be used for the needs of the children and adults.
July 26, 1993
Name changed to Highland County Society for Children and Adults, Inc. to reflect that many services were being provided to adults with chronic conditions, injuries or illnesses who needed assistance with expenses not covered by insurance.
Nina Wharton hired as Executive Secretary.
June 1, 2005
Gayle Coss hired as Executive Secretary.